Capital Dawg, vegan dog!
Capital Dawg, vegan dog!

Sometimes you just want a hotdog.  And not a nasty mystery meat dog (gross!), a GOOD veggie dog.
Sometimes you want someone else to make you that veggie dog, too.  When I heard about Capital Dawg, we had to swing by and check it out.  This particular building has been a few things to my recollection–one of them being a rib joint way back in the day.  The location is midtown, the destination:   to fill my belly!  When you walk in, it has that 50’s diner vibe with lots of hot dog, diner and signed quasi-celebrity headshots.  (hey–check out Byrd from Judge Judy’s!  I love him!)
The menu is totally overwhelming and I knew going in there would only be ONE choice for my dog, but lots and lots of topping combos to chose from.  We enlightened ones can choose the number 3, the “govenor vegan dawg”.    (Now, who does a girl have to #%*@ to get them to make the “senetor veggie dawg on a stick vegan???  Get that whey and egg outta that batter and I promise you I would be in on the regular to consume that vegan corn-dog!!!)
I only see one thing on there that is edible!
I only see one thing on there that is edible!
The gal at the counter eased our confusion and was very vegan-friendly and knowledgeable.  She knew the chili was vegetarian, but not vegan, and also informed us the buns are different for the vegan dogs than the omni’s.  Heck, I am liking this place more and more just for having a vegan selection, and that they know their stuff.  And the fact they have beer!
There are kids meals available, but forgo the gummy hot dog, which much to my kids shagrin, has both agar-agar AND gelatin.  Why the ground up cow, gummy hot dog makers?  HMMMMM????  Oh, and the yoohoo.  Noonoo on the yoohoo–luckily they offer a juice box.
Pricing was kind of steep, at $6.59 for the adult basket meal (drink and fries).  But for a simple one-handed clutch-able meal you can do just the dog for $3.09.  $5.29 for the kids basket.
We decree Capital Dawg 3.5 tomatoes.  They could easily get the top honor of 5 if they re-thought up their corn dog batter!  I am serious, please listen Capital Dawg!

*Capital Dawg–1226 20th st., Sacramento, CA.  916-444-1266.  capitaldawg.com (tell em’ about making a vegan corn dog batter!!)